Belforte all'Isauro is situated in the Upper Foglia Valley, on the border between the Marche and Tuscany, on a long isolated spur of rock between the Isauro and Fossato torrents before they join the River Foglia.
Umbrians, Picenes, Senonian Gauls and Romans all settled in Belforte all’Isauro which got its modern shape in the High medieval age. The castle dates back to that time. It was ruled by a succession of different lords and it got its actual shape when Duke Frederick of Montefeltro asked the well- known architect Francesco di Giorgio Martini to rebuild it.
Belforte all’Isauro was named after a German family of barons by the name of Beaufort, to which the geographical description 'all'Isauro' was added only in 1862. The nobleman Hermann De Tenneret - baron of Beaufort believed that the castle belonged to his German family, so he bought it and then gave it as a gift to the municipality.
Arriving in the town we find the parish church of San Lorenzo containing a painting by the school of Barocci ("Saint Francis with the Stigmata") and a Crucifix which is believed to have miraculous powers. Beside the church is a public garden with a modern fountain by a well known Turin sculptor, Franco Assetto.
Belforte all’Isauro is well known for the truffles growing in the local woods. They’re sold locally, in Italy and abroad. Besides, it belongs to the association of Honey Towns and every year in October you can take part to the event dedicated to its local products.