Already inhabited at the time of the Piceni and later of the Romans, Apiro is located on a hill 516 meters above sea level at the foot of Mount S. Vicino. Not far from the residential area stands the Benedictine Abbey of S. Urbano, built in Romanesque style before the year one thousand: it is a building of great architectural interest, divided into three naves and decorated by a crypt and by numerous stone-carved capitals. The old town still retains the castle walls (12th century), within which are monuments from various periods: the Church and the former convent of San Francesco (11th century), with a Byzantine-Romanesque portal of the twelfth century and third-fifteenth century frescoes; the Churches of Santa Felicita and San Salvatore, both of the twelfth century; the fourteenth century Church of Misericordia (Mercy); the Cappuccini Church, built in 1546; the Palazzo dei Priori, prior to the thirteenth century, and now the town hall; the Collegiate Church of S. Urbano (1633), in Baroque style, whose high altar is dominated by a beautiful painting portraying the Coronation of the Virgin.
The historic center, the monuments and the museums of the town are partially accessible. For information please write to Toll-free Number Marche Tourism (firstname.lastname@example.org) or contact the phone numbers listed below.