The long relationship between Lorenzo Lotto and The Marches began in Recanati and lasted till the end of the painter’s life. In 1506 the fathers of the Church of San Domenico asked him to paint a big Polyptych that was accomplished two years later, in 1508. The “Transfiguration
” painted for the Church of Santa Maria di Castelnuovo and the “San Giacomo Pellegrino
” (St. James the pilgrim), instead, date back to around 1512, when Lotto was in Rome, working with Raphaël to the Vatican Rooms. Initially, the “Transfiguration” included a predella of which two sections are kept in the Hermitage and in the Brera museums. Around 1530 Lotto returned to Recanati where he painted the famous “Annunciation
” for the Oratorio of Santa Maria dei Mercanti. All his paintings are nowadays kept in the municipal gallery, the Museo Civico Villa Colloredo Mels.