The name Ponte Mallio
originates from an inscription (what is untrue, according to some experts) which was located on the right parapet of the building, now disappeared and in which it was given notice of a restoration work carried out by the prefect M. Allius.
The bridge, one of the most important of those found on the Via Flaminia was built near Cagli during the Republican period and still is partly buried, but still almost completely intact despite the centuries and the earthquake of 3rd June 1781 which destroyed much of the town of Cagli.
The structure has only a central fornix (size: 11, 66 m), composed of 21 wedges and topped by a projecting top layer. The work was created by dry layering large rubble blocks, whereas most of blocks of the carnelian stone was restored later, perhaps during the imperial era.